Serbian Ortodox Episcopal Church
Entrance of the Virgin Mary Into the TempleView
Srpska pravoslavna crkva
Phone +385 (0)47 573456
Schedule of church services
- Divine Liturgy
- Sundays and major feast days at 9 a.m.
- Communion preparation
- Holy Communion is received only by baptized Orthodox Christians who have prepared with prayer, fasting, and the sacred mystery of Confession.
- Father Jugoslav Maksimović
☎ 385 (0)95 509 43 28
- Feel free to contact our parish priest for more information
- Visitors and guests are always welcome to attend our services. However, Holy Communion is available only to Orthodox Christians who have prepared as noted above.
- Appropriate attire
- Church-appropriate clothing should be worn at services. Women are encouraged to wear head coverings, especially when receiving communion.
St. Sava of Upper Karlovac
- The diocese slava
- St. Sava of Upper Karlovac (Hieromartyr Sava Trlajić - Bishop of Upper Karlovac), on July 17 [O.S. 4 July].
- Hieromartyr Sava Trlajić (Bishop of Upper Karlovac)
- Born in Mol on July 18, 1884. Graduated from the Faculty of Law at the University of Belgrade. As a parish priest he served at parishes in Peška and Bašaid. A widower, he took monastic vows on October 27, 1929 in the Krušedol Monastery, being tonsured with the name Sava. He was appointed Bishop of Gornji Karlovac on June 22, 1938, with his residence in Plaški.
- After the invasion of Yugoslavia and the formation of an independent Croatian state in 1941, Plaški was turned over to the Ustashi (ustaša) Croatians. Not wanting to abandon his flock, St. Sava was arrested on June 17, 1941. After experiencing intense torture St. Sava was taken to Gospić concentration camp on July 19. 1941. Somewhere on the Velebit Mountain he suffered a martyr’s death together with thousands of other Orthodox Serbs.
- In 1998, at the regular session of the Holy Synod of the Serbian Orthodox Church Bishop Sava was glorified and entered on the list of names of the Serbian Church saints as hieromartyr.
Important events in the history of the church
- Bishop Danilo Jukšić, replaced the the first wooden church built in the 1730s with the stone-built cathedral .
- 1903 - 1907
- The church owes its present-day appearance to a historicist style of restoration carried out from 1903 - 1907 during the episcopy of bishop Mihajlo Grujić. Plans for the architectural reshaping of the buildings were made by architect Janko Holjac.The end of renovation works was marked by the installation of a new and lavish iconostasis and other wooden church furniture designed by Vinko Raucher. Ivan Tišov painted the icons on the iconostasis
- The Second World war
- In 1942, bombing destroyed the church leaving the roof of the sanctuary and the nave in ruins.
- The sanctuary and the roof of the church were renovated at the end of the 1950s and at the end of the 1980s large scale renovation completely destroyed the old historicist wall paintings.
>Make a Gift or Donation We are gathering donations to help rebuild the church. Your contribution however small is appreciated.