Plaški is a small town in Croatian region Lika situated in the Plaški valley 28 km south from Ogulin. Plaški extends from the the foothills of the Mala Kapela mountain range, 120 km from Zagreb, 80 km from the Adriatic Sea, and 40 km from the Plitvice Lakes, where you can see a majestic phenomenon of nature.
In the opinion of many lovers of nature Plaški it's a place where nature lovers can spend a pleasant and interesting holiday in the closeness with nature offering great mountain views, breathtaking water springs, gorgeous trees along with a wide variety of plant life. Two rivers Dretulja and Vrnjika are famous for freshwater fish in the salmon family. Also hunting ground is established by the Assembly of Karlovac County and located in the area of Mala and Velika Kapela and Plaški Valley.
For history and culture lovers Plaški represents a good opportunity for dedicating yourself to hiking or mountaineering to discover the history and culture of the surroundings.
Areas of the National Ecological Network (CroNEN), part of the EU ecological network NATURA2000
The valley of the river Detulja is a large mosaic of wetland habitats.
National Strategy and Action Plan for the Protection Biological Diversity pointed out (in 1999) wet meadows as one of the most vulnerable, and the bogs as a critically endangered habitat types. The flat bogs in Plaški were listed as one of the last remaining bogs in Croatia.
The wider area of the river Dretulja is locatede within the karst plain, at the foot of the massif of Mala Kapela. The whole area is bordered by the Jurassic dolomites.
FloraIn the valley of the river Dretulja has been recorded 161 plant species, 32 of which are even found on the Red list of endangered plant and animal species in Croatia.
FaunaDuring only one tour of the valley, there has been recorded 11 species of butterflies, two species of amphibians and one reptile species that are protected under the Protection of Nature.
Gradina fortress of today is the ruins of the old town Plaški which hide a wealth of history along with a little mystery such as who built it and when. In the 15th century it was owned by the Frankopan family but it is not known whether they built it or it was given to them.
Archeological locality Tursko groblje-Lapat
Toponym Tursko groblje (Turkish graveyard) suggests the location of a necropolis (not excluded that this position was the place of a prehistoric necropolis). On the basis of surveying the local native population, this locality couldn’t be properly dated. This locality has been registered; no data in professional literature.
Archeological zone Plaška glava
Registered cultural heritage below the prehistoric hillfort settlement (10th – 8th century B.C.)
Built in 1763 by Episcop Danilo Jakšić and dedicated to the Entrance of the Virgin Mary Into the Temple.
The church owes its present-day appearance to a historicist style of restoration carried out from 1903 - 1907 during the episcopy of bishop Mihajlo Grujić. One of the most notable painters of the period, Ivan Tišov, painted the icons on the iconostasis.
The Church used to be a part of episcopal complex consisting of a church, a court and a garden.
Today, the church in Plaški is in a very poor condition and demands thorough renovation in order to bring the old splendour back.
UčionaBeautiful stone building in centre of Plaški, built during the short period of Napoleon's Illyrian Provinces ( 1809-1813).
Among the main changes the French empire brought was the changing of the schooling system. Although at the time of the Illyrian Provinces the educational reform did not come to life to its fullest ability, it was nevertheless of considerable social significance.
First Sokol Organization was founded in 1862 in the Czech lands (now Czech Republic).
Sokolski dom - Sokol home in Plaški was built in 1936 as a community centre, offering physical training in gymnastics and other athletics, as well as providing cultural awareness and family oriented activities.